LESSON 8: THE GOSPEL
THEME: The Thief on the Cross (Luke 23:39-43)
VOCABULARY: Jesus, thief, preach, teach, enemies, cross, die, follow
STORY: There is a man named Jesus. He is a good man. He was sent to earth from God to preach and teach. This work was not easy. Jesus needed help. Jesus chose 12 people to help him teach and preach all over. During this time Jesus made many friends but he also made many enemies. Many people did not believe the things that Jesus was preaching. During this time, he did many miracles. He fed thousands of people with a few small fish and a few loaves of bread. He healed the sick. But even with witnessing these miracles, there were still people who did not believe in Jesus. After some time, Jesus was sent to the cross to die. Jesus was sent to the cross with two thieves. One of the thieves did not believe in Jesus and said many bad things to him. He questioned if Jesus was real and if he was, then why wasn’t he saving them? The second thief believed in Jesus even as he was about to die on the cross. The thief asked Jesus to remember him when they get to the Kingdom of God. Jesus told him not to worry. “Since you believe you will be in paradise with me.”
- Review the vocabulary words. Listen to the Vocabulary File for pronunciation. Look up the meaning of any words you don’t know.
- Listen to Audio 1 as you read through the story.<
- Listen to Audio 2 – Story with Questions as you read through the story and answer the questions.<
- Retell the story in 8 boxes. Draw pictures or write the answers. The answer key is in Lesson 8 for Teachers.
|Who is the man?
|What does the man do?||How many people helped Jesus?||What does Jesus do?|
|Does Jesus have friends?
|Does Jesus have enemies?||Who was sent to the cross with Jesus?||What happens in the end?|
5. Answer the following questions:
- What can we learn from the story?
- How can we help share the story of God?
6. End the class with prayer.