LESSON 22: HOLY SPIRIT
VOCABULARY: thrown in jail, brought, received, priest, military leader
STORY: There are two guys, Peter and John. One day they were preaching to the people about Jesus. A priest and a military leader were very upset with what Peter and John were preaching and they took them both and threw them in jail. But before they were thrown in jail, many had heard the message about Jesus and believed. The next day the two men were brought in front of the rulers, the elders, and the teachers of the law. Since Peter was filled with the Holy Spirit, he had no fear and preached to them all about God being raised from the dead. He shared that because of this, many had been healed. They presented the man that had been healed. Nobody could deny that this man had been healed. They did not know what to do with John and Peter. The rulers, the elders, and the teachers of the law demanded that Peter and John no longer preach about Jesus. But Peter told them they could not do that. They had to follow what was right in God’s eyes. Peter and John received many more threats but were let go and went back to their people. When they went back they spent time in prayer all together. During this prayer time, the place where they were praying was shaken and everyone was filled with the Holy Spirit. Everyone spoke the word of God boldly. No one could stop them from sharing the love of the lord and the strength of the Holy Spirit with others.
- Review the Vocabulary Words .
- Listen to Audio 1 as you read the story.
- Listen to Audio 2 – Story with Questions as you read the story and answer the questions.
- Think about what we know about the Holy Spirit.
- How does the Holy Spirit help us?
- How did the Holy Spirit help John and Peter?
- How do we know we get the power of the Holy Spirit?
- Acts 1:8: “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses…..”
- Think about how we ourselves can be witnesses.
- End class in prayer.