LESSON 27: READ AND RESPOND
THEME: The Father’s Love
VOCABULARY: shepherd, sheep, food, water, wolf, noticed, wander
STORY: One day there were many sheep in a field. The thing about these sheep is that they are not very smart. Sheep in general are not very smart. On this day, the sheep were with their shepherd. It is important that these sheep have a shepherd because without their shepherd they would be very lost. Sheep only listen to their shepherd; they do not listen to anyone else. The sheep follow the shepherd’s voice and the shepherd takes them to food and water. He also keeps them safe. A good shepherd will even give his life to protect his sheep. One day, the shepherd was watching his sheep when a wolf came. The shepherd did not run away. He stayed with his sheep. Another person might have run away, but a shepherd is always there to protect his sheep. Just like the shepherd protects his sheep, God protects us. The enemy tries to hurt us, just like the wolf wanted to hurt the sheep, but God protects us. We are God’s sheep and we can listen to His voice and follow Him. It is important that we listen to and follow our one true shepherd just like the sheep only follow the voice of their shepherd. That way, when the enemy tries to hurt us, God will keep us safe.
- Review the Vocabulary Words .
- Listen to Audio 1 as you read the story.
- Listen to Audio 2 – Story with Questions as you read the story and answer the questions.
- Think about these main points:
- Who takes care of the sheep? (the shepherd)
- What does the shepherd do? (He leaves the group to save the one)
- Who do the sheep listen to? (the shepherd)
- Why do they listen to the shepherd? (because the shepherd protects them)
- Does the shepherd leave the sheep behind? (No)
- Who is our shepherd? (God)
- Who should we listen to? (God)
- Why is it important to listen to God? (allow for answers)
5. Think about the things that make us wander away from the Lord (anger, frustration, when things get hard, joining the wrong group of friends, etc.)
6. Remember that just like the shepherd, God will always come looking for the one that has wandered away from him, even if it means leaving the others. He wants to bring all His children back to the group.
7. End the class with prayer.