LESSON 24: READ AND RESPOND
VOCABULARY: together, difficult, concepts, nervous, cheated, trouble, forgive, suspicious
STORY: There are two young kids. Their names are Raul and Jose. They are 16 years old. They are in a math class together at school. Raul and Jose both have trouble in math. Math is very difficult for them. They struggle with the concepts. One day their teacher told the class that they were going to have a test. Raul and Jose were very nervous. They knew that they did not know the material. To their surprise, the day before the test, they found a few copies of the test with the answers on the teacher’s desk. They decided to take a copy of the test so that they could study the answers. Jose and Raul were so happy. They knew that they could do well on the test since they now had the answers. They did not think that the teacher might be suspicious if they suddenly both did well on a math test. The day after the test the teacher called Raul and Jose to his office. They were so nervous. The teacher told the boys that they would each receive a zero on the test and would have to do some extra work to make up the points. Raul and Jose told the teacher that they were sorry and that they would never cheat again. The teacher forgave them. Jose and Raul were very happy that they did not get in more trouble, and that their teacher was going to help them make up the points. They learned that it is important to tell the truth. They also learned how good it feels to be forgiven.
- Review the Vocabulary Words .
- Listen to Audio 1 as you read the story.
- Listen to Audio 2 – Story with Questions as you read the story and answer the questions.
- Think about the main points.
- Have you ever lied or cheated before?
- How did it make you feel?
- Did you tell the truth after?
- Why is it important to always tell the truth?
- Why is it important to forgive people for their mistakes?
- Remember that we all make mistakes and that we all at some point do something we should not do. We are all human. But that is the great thing about God. Just as the boys’ teacher forgave them, God forgives us when we make mistakes or sin as long as we go to him, tell the truth, and ask for forgiveness.
- End the class in prayer.