LESSON 13: LISTEN AND RESPOND
THEME: Our Purpose
VOCABULARY: confused, proud, medicine, purpose, study, thought
STORY: There is a young man named Samuel and there is also a young woman named Sara. They are both students at a university. They have been studying for one year. Samuel is very confused. He has been studying to be a doctor, but now he does not feel like this is what he wants to do. He knows that his family would be so proud of him if he was a doctor. He knows that they have always thought he was smart enough to do something great. But the more that Samuel studies medicine, the more he feels that this is not his purpose in life. Proverbs 19:21 says, “Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.” Samuel is slowly starting to understand that no matter what he thinks he should do to please other people, he needs to focus on the purpose the Lord has for him. He has not figured out what that purpose is yet, but he knows that it is not being a doctor. Samuel does not want to tell his family that he does not want to be a doctor. He has learned a lot through his friend, Sara, the young woman. For many years, Sara has known the Lord’s purpose for her life. Samuel wants to continue to seek the Lord and ask God for what the next steps are in his life. Romans 8:28 says, “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” Samuel plans to tell his family that he wants to take a year off of school and spend it doing work in different places to find what the Lord has given him a passion for.
- Review the Vocabulary Words .
- Listen to Audio 1 as you read the story.
- Listen to Audio 2 – Story with Questions as you read the story and answer the questions.
- Think about the theme:
- What is God’s purpose for us? (to follow Him and what he has for us)
- How can we seek the Lord in order to find our purpose?
- What do you think God’s purpose is for you?
- Listen to the song, “It’s a Slow Fade” by Casting Crowns. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DEKfGEYlHE
- Think about the meaning behind the song.
- End the class in prayer.