LESSON 1: INTRODUCTION TO ENGLISH
THEME: Introduce Your Family (You can use this story as a guide to write about yourself and your family)
VOCABULARY: brother, sister, mother, father, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, grandkids, stepfather, sister-in-law, brother-in-law, twin, spend time together
STORY: My name is Emily. I am 30 years old. I have an older brother who is 35. His name is Michael. Michael has a wife. Her name is Jeannie. My sister-in-law is 35 years old, too. They have a son. My nephew’s name is Preston. He is two years old. I also have a twin sister. Her name is Ellen. She has two kids. Their names are Zaelynn and Oakley. My niece, Zaelynn, is 8 years old, and my nephew, Oakley, is 7 years old. My whole family lives in Michigan. We all love to spend time together. My brother is a doctor. My sister-in-law and my sister are teachers, like me. Zaelynn and Oakley love to dance and sing. They also like to do karate. Preston loves to dance and play with his toy cars. They are all so cute!
- Review the Vocabulary Words
- Listen to Audio 1 as you read the story.
- Listen to Audio 2 – Story with Questions as you read the story and answer questions.
- Create a written paragraph about your own family.
- Include the following information: Who is part of your family? How old are they? Where do they live? What do you guys like to do?
- Present your paragraph to a friend or family member.
- As you present, ask questions like: “What is my sister’s name? What is my brother’s name? How old are they?” (ask questions pertaining to your story to see if the other person understands)
- Extra: Think about the following questions, and write down the answers in your notebook:
- What do I like to do in my free time? How many siblings do I have? Where do I live?
- End the class in prayer.