LESSON 31: THE LOVE OF THE FATHER
THEME: Life Application
VOCABULARY: meal, support, tempted, gangs, peace
STORY: There is a young boy. His name is Jose. Jose is 8 years old. He is sad and lonely. He is hungry and doesn’t know where his next meal will come from. He goes to school when he can but he often wanders the streets looking for food and trying to sell little candies. He tries to make whatever money he can to help support his family. He is tempted daily by bad people in the neighborhood to join gangs. Jose knows he does not want to be a part of a gang but at the same time, he is so lonely and would love to feel like he was part of a group. One day as he was walking the streets looking for food he looked up and prayed to God. He said, “Lord if you are real, show me something. Come and bring me comfort and food.” On this day he continued walking and waiting to hear or see something from the Lord. Then all of a sudden he felt a sense of peace. He felt as if someone had wrapped their arms around him. Right at that moment a man came and gave him Jose a meal. The man said to Jose, “Son, you are not alone and you are seen. There is someone greater than you who loves you more than you can ever understand. Keep your head up.” From that moment on, Jose knew that he was loved by his Father in Heaven.
- Review the vocabulary words. Listen to the Vocabulary File for pronunciation. Look up the meaning of any words you don’t know.
- Listen to Audio 1 as you read through the story.
- Listen to Audio 2 – Story with Questions as you read through the story and answer the questions.
- Think about how much our Father in Heaven loves you.
- Does God get angry with you? (No, God loves us no matter what.)
- Will God ever leave you even if you leave him? (No, God will always be there waiting for us to come back home just like the father waited for his son.)
- Complete the craft activity, God Loves Me to Pieces:
- Rip up different colored paper and glue the pieces onto the heart.
- Think about how no matter what is in our hearts, God loves us to pieces.
- End the class with prayer.