LESSON 2: INTRODUCTION TO ENGLISH
THEME: Introduce Yourself and Your Family
VOCABULARY: mom, dad, brother, sister, cat, dog, city (put up a poster with words/pictures)
STORY (Make your own life story, or use Emily’s to introduce vocabulary):
SAMPLE STORY: My name is Emily. I am 30 years old. I live at home with my mom. I have a sister and a brother. My sister is 30 years old. My brother is 35 years old. My favorite colors are blue and pink. I like to play soccer and go for runs. I also like to read. I have a cat and a dog. My cat is big and my dog is small.
SAMPLE STORY WITH QUESTIONS: My name is Emily. (What is my name?) I am 30 years old. (Am I 30 or 24?) I live at home with my mom. (Do I live with my mom or dad?) I have a sister and a brother. (Do I have a sister? Do I have a brother?) My sister is 30 years old. (Is my sister 12 or 30?) My brother is 35 years old. (Is my brother 32 or 35?) My favorite colors are blue and pink. (Do I like pink? Do I like yellow?) I like to play soccer and go for runs. (Do I like to play soccer or basketball? Do I like to run?) I also like to read. (Do I like to read?) I have a cat and a dog. (Who has a cat? Do I have a dog?) My cat is big and my dog is small. (Is my cat big or small? Is my dog big or small?)
- Review the Vocabulary Words. Have a poster with words and pictures.
- Listen to Audio 1 and read along with the story.
- Listen to Audio 2. Read along with the story and answer the questions.
- Practice with the students, referencing the vocabulary poster:
- “What is your name?” Go through the class, asking, “What is your name? What is his name? Yes, his name is_____.”
- “How old are you? How old is she? Yes, she is_____.”
- “What is your favorite color? What is her/his favorite color?”
- “Who is in your family? I have a ________(mom, dad, brother, sister)”
- Going deeper: If there is more time, ask, “What do you like to do? (Write some vocab words on the poster, such as: run, walk, play soccer, play games, etc.) “I like to play______. I like to ______.”
- Play Simon Says, using the commands reviewed in class.
- If there is time, review body parts, commands, colors, question words, and feelings.
- Have a student pray in English.