LESSON 8: LISTEN AND RESPOND
THEME: Peer Pressure
VERSE: 1 Corinthians 10:13: “No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.”
VOCABULARY: oldest, siblings, responsible, younger, experiment, weed, involved, behavior, pressure, purity, temptation
STORY: There is a girl. Her name is Alexandra. She lives in a small town with her family. She is 16 years old. She lives with her mom, dad, brother, and sister. Her brother, Tom, is 12 years old and her sister, Beth, is 10 years old. Alexandra is the oldest in her family. She has to be responsible and be a model for her two younger siblings It is hard for her sometimes because she sees her friends acting out and trying new things. Her friends like to experiment with weed and sexual relationships with boys. Alexandra does not want to get involved with this kind of behavior but sometimes finds it difficult as her friends pressure her. They constantly try to tell her that it is no big deal. They tell her it is normal for kids to experiment. But Alexandra grew up in a home where her parents taught her about purity and temptation. Her parents always knew there would come a time that she would be tempted to do something that she did not feel comfortable doing. They have given her many scriptures to read for when she feels tempted. 1 Corinthians 10:13 says, “No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.” As Alexandra went back and read this in her bible she knew she wanted to stand firm in her beliefs and not be tempted by her friends. She knows that God is going to protect her from all the temptations and that when temptation presents itself she will always have a way to escape.
- Review the vocabulary words. Listen to the Vocabulary File
for pronunciation. Look up the meaning of any words you don’t know.
- Listen to Audio 1 as you read through the story.
- Listen to Audio 2 – Story with Questions as you read through the story and answer the questions.
- Answer the main theme questions:
- What can we learn from Alexandra? ______________________________________________
- Will we be tempted in our lives?_________________________________________________
- What can we do when we feel tempted?____________________________________________
- Have you ever been tempted before? If so, what did you do?______________________________
- Why is it important to seek God in temptations?______________________________________
- Now it’s your turn to read the story out loud. Practice for fluency.
- End class with prayer.