LESSON 23: READ AND RESPOND
THEME: God’s Purpose for Us
- Romans 8:28: “We know that in all things God works for good with those who love him, those whom he has called according to his purpose.”
- Ephesians 1:11: “All things are done according to God’s plan and decision; and God chose us to be his own people in union with Christ because of his own purpose, based on what he had decided from the very beginning.”
VOCABULARY: engineer, expect, take over, desires, footsteps
STORY: There is a young man. He is 20 years old. His name is Miguel. He has been studying at a university for 2 years. He is studying to become an engineer. Ever since he was a little boy his family has pressured him into attending a university to study engineering. They have wanted him to follow in his father’s footsteps. As he has studied engineering, he has enjoyed it. However, he does not feel like it is what he wants to do for the rest of his life. He doesn’t feel like this is the call that God has placed on his life. However, it is very difficult for him to stand up to his family and tell them that he does not want to be an engineer. His family is expecting him to take over his father’s business. It is not that he does not want to take over his father’s business, but he feels it is important to follow the path the Lord has for him to be a missionary. The problem is that his family are not believers. This makes it hard for him to explain that he wants to do something different with his life. Romans 8:28 says, “We know that in all things God works for good with those who love him, those whom he has called according to his purpose.” Miguel really wants to follow out his call to be a missionary and serve in other countries. He has spent a lot of time talking with the Lord and praying. He knows that the Lord is calling him to do more with his life. Miguel knows that he wants to go out and share the love of the Lord with others. He does not know how it will look yet, but he knows that he has to find a way to speak with his family and share his desires. Miguel understands that no matter what his family believes, his purpose is to fulfill God’s plan for him. Ephesians 1:11 says, “All things are done according to God’s plan and decision; and God chose us to be his own people in union with Christ because of his own purpose, based on what he had decided from the very beginning.”
- Listen to the Directions
- Review the vocabulary words. Listen to the Vocabulary File for pronunciation. Look up the meaning of any words you don’t know.
- Listen to Audio 1 as you read through the story.
- Listen to Audio 2 – Story with Questions as you read through the story and answer the questions.
- Think about what it means to follow God’s purpose
- What is God’s purpose for you?
- Why is it important to follow the Lord’s purpose?
- Find a friend or family member and pray for each other about things you are struggling with.
- End the class with prayer.