LESSON 19: LISTEN AND RESPOND
THEME: Health Problems – Wife’s Version
- Matthew 18:20: “For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.”
- Isaiah 41:10: “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
VOCABULARY: tests, results, counting on, treatments, suffering, miracle, strength, remission
STORY: There is a woman. Her name is Maria. She is 36 years old and has two kids. Her kids are 7 and 9. She has a wonderful husband. His name is John. One day Maria was not feeling very well. After a few days of not feeling well she went to the doctor. The doctor took some blood and ran some tests. She had to wait for three weeks for the results of the test. During this time, she was very nervous. But she had a wonderful husband who sat with her and prayed. She knew it was important to have prayer together. Matthew 18:20 says, “For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.” Maria knew that whatever the results were, she had the Lord on her side. After waiting three weeks, Maria received the bad news that she had cancer. Maria was very upset but knew she was going to fight for her life. She was counting on the Lord to help her through this. Maria stayed strong through all her treatments. She never wanted her kids to see her suffering. She put on a happy face for her kids. When she was alone she would cry out to the Lord. Maria would cry out to the Lord and ask for a miracle. Isaiah 41:10 says, “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Maria knows that the Lord will strengthen her and she will get through this tough time. Maria continued to fight and she slowly gained her strength back. After some time the doctors did more tests. The doctors found that she was in remission. Maria had never been so happy in her life. She now felt that the Lord had given her a chance to live a second time. Maria wants to do so much to help others and share her story knowing that the Lord can heal people and do miracles.
- Review the vocabulary words. Listen to the Vocabulary File for pronunciation. Look up the meaning of any words you don’t know.
- Listen to Audio 1 as you read through the story.
- Listen to Audio 2 – Story with Questions as you read through the story and answer the questions.
- Answer the following questions:
- Who can we rely on during difficult times?
- Who can do many different miracles?
- Have you ever witnessed a healing?
- What are some things that God and do for us?
- Why is it important to pray?
- Discuss this in English with a friend or family member.
- End the class in prayer.