LESSON 11: LISTEN AND RESPOND
THEME: Marriage Problems (Husband’s Version)
VERSE: 1 John 1:9: “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
VOCABULARY: colleague, horrible, devastated, counseling, sought, caught up in, confess
STORY: There is a man. His name is Chris. He has a wife named Sarah. He has two kids. Sam is 15 and Elizabeth is 13. Chris has been married to his wife for 20 years. One day he had to work late and he started talking to a colleague. He enjoyed the conversation and never really thought more of it. But then his colleague started talking to him more. Over time they started spending more time together and talking a lot. Then Chris realized it had become more than a friendship. Chris loved his wife a lot but had gotten himself caught up in something bad. He did not want to hurt his wife but one thing led to another and he had an affair. After that, he knew he had to tell his wife. Chris felt horrible and knew his wife would be devastated. He knew he had done something hurtful and knew it would take a lot for Sarah to forgive him. Chris was willing to do anything because he wanted his marriage to work. After telling his wife, she asked him to move out. He was really upset but knew he needed to give her space. Chris moved out and started going to counseling. He went to counseling alone and with his wife. He prayed a lot and sought the Lord in everything. He wanted to restore his marriage and knew that the Lord had the power to help them through this. 1 John 1:9 says, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” After a lot of work and a lot of time seeking counsel from the Lord, Chris and Sarah were able to restore their marriage. They knew it would still be work but they knew that they loved each other and wanted to be together. They also knew that God had the power to not only restore their marriage but to make it even stronger than it was before.
- Review the vocabulary words. Listen to the Vocabulary File for pronunciation. Look up the meaning of any words you don’t know.
- Listen to Audio 1 as you read through the story.
- Listen to Audio 2 – Story with Questions as you read through the story and answer the questions.
- Answer the following questions:
- Who can help us in difficult situations?
- Who has the power to restore families?
- Can the Lord bring us out stronger on the other side of a difficult situation?
- Have you ever experienced something God has helped you manage?
- Listen to the song “Trust in You” from Lauren Daigle
- What does this song talk about?
- End class with prayer.